Raw Chocolate Almond Slice
I always keep a batch of this chocolate almond slice in the freezer for whenever a ‘chocolate craving’ hits! It uses raw cacao powder (which I use in all of my ‘chocolate’ recipes).
What is raw cacao powder?
Raw cacao powder is different to the normal cocoa that you buy in the supermarket. It is rich in antioxidants and minerals such as magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium and phosphorus. This is because it hasn’t been heat treated like normal cocoa, so it retains all these healthful nutrients.
Raw cacao powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans. This process keeps the living enzymes in the cocoa and removes the fat (cacao butter).
What are the health benefits of raw cacao powder?
- Rich in antioxidants
- Helps to regulate blood cholesterol levels
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- High in dietary fibre
- Boosts your mood
- Rich in certain minerals (including magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, zinc and manganese)
Recipe: Raw Chocolate Almond Slice
(DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE, PALEO, VEGAN)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup dates (chopped)
- ¾ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or rice malt syrup)
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- Place dates into food processor and process until chopped into small pieces.
- Place all other ingredients into food processor and process until combined.
- Press into tray (approximately 20×20) and refrigerate until solid
- Cut into small pieces
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer