These are a fantastic snack for school lunches, as they are nut free, but still full of protein from the sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. My kids have always loved these, and we keep a batch in the freezer for a quick snack at any …
This slice has a similar texture to the traditional ‘chocolate crackles’ but is much healthier!
What is Tahini?
Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds. It has a similar texture to peanut butter.
What are the health benefits of tahini?
- Good source of protein (20% protein by weight)
- Rich source of B vitamins to boost energy and brain function
- Good source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids
- Good source of calcium
- Rich in other minerals, such as magnesium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iron
Recipe: Chocolate & Tahini Crackle Slice
(DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE, VEGAN)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup hulled tahini
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup (or raw honey)
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 cups puffed brown rice
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- Melt coconut oil in saucepan
- Add tahini and rice malt syrup, and stir on low heat until combined
- Add cacao powder and stir until combined (then remove from heat).
- In a large bowl, mix together puffed rice and desiccated coconut.
- Add the melted coconut oil mixture and stir well to combine
- Press mixture firmly into a baking tray lined with baking paper (approximately 20cm x 20cm)
- Let it set in the fridge for approximately 2 hours.
- Cut into small pieces and store in the fridge.