Gluten Free Beef & Vegetable Lasagne
Lasagne is always a favourite amongst children and adults alike! This version is gluten free, so perfect for anyone with allergies, and it is also packed full of vegetables (which are pretty much ‘hidden’ for any fussy children!)
I have also used a vegan cheese sauce in replacement of the béchamel sauce – and it still tasted delicious! So you can also make it dairy free if needed.
This is also a great recipe to bulk cook and freeze in smaller portions for a quick easy weeknight dinner.
Recipe: Gluten Free Beef & Vegetable Lasagne
- Extra virgin olive oil (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 1 large brown onion (diced finely)
- 2 zucchini’s
- 2 carrotts
- 750g Pasta Sauce (I like the Leggos Bolognese Sauce – but any variety will do)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500g minced beef
- Packet of gluten free lasagne sheets
- 1 1/2 cups mozerella cheese
- 2 cups milk (I use rice milk to reduce dairy content but any milk is fine)
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee
1. Mince & Vegetable Sauce:
- Fry diced onions in saucepan with some olive oil for a few minutes (or until soft)
- Roughly chop zucchini and carrots and place into food processor – process until finely chopped
- Add zucchini and carrots to onions and saute for a few minutes (you may need to add a little extra olive oil here)
- Set the vegetable mixture aside
- Add some more olive oil to fry pan, and cook mince until browned all through
- Add pasta sauce, tomato paste and vegetable mixture and cook for another few minutes
2. Béchamel sauce:
- Melt butter, add gluten free flour and cook, stirring, for about a minute.
- Gradually add milk, constantly stirring over heat. When thick, add 1 cup of cheese and stir until melted.
2. Putting it all together:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Get a large, deep rectangular tin and line with baking paper
- Layer lasagne sheets, mince sauce and cheese sauce until all used up, finishing with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Cover with foil, bake for 20 minutes, remove foil and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes before serving to allow the lasagne to ‘set’