This paleo slice is made with green banana flour, which I absolutely love. It is easy to make, and extremely moist – perfect for a morning or afternoon snack with a cup of tea! What is green banana flour? Banana flour is produced with green …
Tag: Dairy Free
I always keep a batch of this chocolate almond slice in the freezer for whenever a ‘chocolate craving’ hits! It uses raw cacao powder (which I use in all of my ‘chocolate’ recipes).
What is raw cacao powder?
Raw cacao powder is different to the normal cocoa that you buy in the supermarket. It is rich in antioxidants and minerals such as magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium and phosphorus. This is because it hasn’t been heat treated like normal cocoa, so it retains all these healthful nutrients.
Raw cacao powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans. This process keeps the living enzymes in the cocoa and removes the fat (cacao butter).
What are the health benefits of raw cacao powder?
- Rich in antioxidants
- Helps to regulate blood cholesterol levels
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- High in dietary fibre
- Boosts your mood
- Rich in certain minerals (including magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, zinc and manganese)
Recipe: Raw Chocolate Almond Slice
(DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE, PALEO, VEGAN)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup dates (chopped)
- ¾ cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup (or rice malt syrup)
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- Place dates into food processor and process until chopped into small pieces.
- Place all other ingredients into food processor and process until combined.
- Press into tray (approximately 20×20) and refrigerate until solid
- Cut into small pieces
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer
This slice has a similar texture to the traditional ‘chocolate crackles’ but is much healthier! What is Tahini? Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds. It has a similar texture to peanut butter. What are the health benefits of tahini? Good source of protein (20% …
These taste way too good to be grain free! They have a rich chocolate flavour – and are perfect for when that chocolate craving hits.
What is green banana flour?
Banana flour is produced with green bananas that are peeled, chopped, dried and then ground. It is very high in resistant starch.
Benefits of resistant starch?
- Prebiotic (encourages growth of probiotic microbes in the gut)
- Helps to lower blood glucose levels & increase insulin sensitivity (good for diabetics)
- Assists in weight loss (leaves you fuller for longer)
- Promotes colon health
- Reduces cholesterol
Recipe: Green Banana Flour Brownies
(PALEO, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE)
- ¾ cup raw honey or pure maple syrup
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup green banana flour
- ¾ cup cacao powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In a bowl, combine the honey and coconut oil (melt oil first if required).
- In a separate bowl, stir together the banana flour and cocoa powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the honey and coconut oil, and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13 inch baking pan, lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow brownies to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Note: Be careful not to over-cook – check after 15 mins (they should be slightly ‘moist’ when you take it out).