Paleo Apple & Walnut Slice
This paleo slice is made with green banana flour, which I absolutely love. It is easy to make, and extremely moist – perfect for a morning or afternoon snack with a cup of tea!
What is green banana flour?
Banana flour is produced with green bananas that are peeled, chopped, dried and then ground. It is very high in resistant starch.
Benefits of resistant starch?
- Prebiotic (encourages growth of probiotic microbes in the gut)
- Helps to lower blood glucose levels & increase insulin sensitivity (good for diabetics)
- Assists in weight loss (leaves you fuller for longer)
- Promotes colon health
- Reduces cholesterol
Recipe: Paleo Apple & Walnut Slice
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo)
- 6 medium sized red apples
- 1 egg
- 125g coconut oil (melted)
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup green banana flour
- 1/4 cups walnuts (chopped)
- Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees celsius
- You now need to stew the apples: Peel apples and stew them in a saucepan with in a few tablespoons of water and pinch of salt. I normally bring the apples to the boil, then reduce the heat to low (with lid on). They need to cook for approximately 10-15 minutes (or until apples are tender). Let them cool slightly, then drain all excess water away. You will need 2 cups of stewed apple.
- In a bowl – combine banana flour, coconut oil, cinnamon, maple syrup and egg. Mix well
- Line a small 20cm x 20cm tin with baking paper and pour in about 2/3 of the mixture (spread evenly)
- Cover the mixture with 2 cups of stewed apple, lightly pressing the apples into the batter.
- Use the remaining banana flour mixture to cover the apples and sprinkle over chopped walnuts
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes (or until mixture is cooked) – you don’t want to overcook, as it will become dry.