These are a fantastic snack for school lunches, as they are nut free, but still full of protein from the sesame seeds and sunflower seeds. My kids have always loved these, and we keep a batch in the freezer for a quick snack at any …
Month: November 2017
I have taken the classic ‘zucchini slice’ recipe and made it gluten free, as well as added in some carrot to get some extra veg in there! This is a great recipe to make in bulk and freeze for an easy weeknight dinner or to take into work for lunch.
Recipe: Gluten Free Carrot & Zucchini slice
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup gluten free SR flour (or you can add 2 tsp baking powder to 1 cup of plain GF flour)
- 2 zucchini’s (grated)
- 1 small carrot (grated)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 200g shortcut bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 80mL extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Beat eggs in a large bowl until well combined
- Add flour slowly, and beat until smooth
- Add zucchini, onion, carrot, bacon, cheese and olive oil. Mix until well combined
- Place baking paper in 30x20cm baking tin, and pour mixture into tin evenly
- Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked through and slightly brown on top
This slice has a similar texture to the traditional ‘chocolate crackles’ but is much healthier! What is Tahini? Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds. It has a similar texture to peanut butter. What are the health benefits of tahini? Good source of protein (20% …
I love home-made pizza, as it is an easy way to get some extra veggies into the whole family. Also, kids and adults of all ages tend to love pizza! I have given you a really simple recipe here – but if you have the time (and energy!) you can make your own pizza base and pizza sauce. This tends to be my ‘quick and easy’ weeknight meal – so I just use store bought sauce and base. You can also add other veggies – such as mushrooms, onions, olives, shallots or top with rocket once cooked.
Whilst this recipe isn’t dairy free – I find that most people with a lactose intolerance can tolerate hard cheese occasionally. Otherwise, you can use vegan parmesan cheese to top this (I will post a recipe for this later).
Recipe: Gluten Free Veggie Packed Pizza
- Gluten Free Pizza Base
- Pizza sauce
- 1 zucchini (grated)
- 1/2 carrot (grated)
- 1/2 capsicum (grated)
- Either: Cooked Chicken or Ham (finely chopped)
- Grated tasty cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Spread pizza base evenly with pizza sauce
- Spread grated zucchini, carrot and capsicum evenly over base.
- Spread chicken or ham evenly over base
- Top with grated tasty cheese (amount depends on how cheesy you like your pizza!)
- Cook in oven for approximately 10-15 minutes (or until cheese is melted and base is slightly crunchy)
Note: If you like your base extra crunchy – its a good idea to pre-cook the base in the oven for about 5 minutes before adding the other toppings.
These taste way too good to be grain free! They have a rich chocolate flavour – and are perfect for when that chocolate craving hits. What is green banana flour? Banana flour is produced with green bananas that are peeled, chopped, dried and then ground. …
These Matcha Bliss Balls are packed full of antioxidants, and are delicious as a morning or afternoon snack.
What is Matcha Green Tea powder?
Matcha is a special type of powdered green tea. The green tea leaves are shaded from the sun for the last few weeks of their growth, increasing the chlorophyll content and creating a gorgeous green colour. Then, the leaves are carefully ground with stone grinding wheels to produce a fine powder.
The powder can then be used to brew an antioxidant rich frothy green tea or in recipes like smoothies or baking. Unlike other types of teas, the green tea powder is not strained out before consuming, so you are consuming the entire leaf. This means it is a powerhouse of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Health benefits of Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Rich in antioxidants (over 5 times the antioxidants of any other food)
- Contains chlorophyll (which helps with detoxing )
- Contains certain minerals (including iron, calcium & potassium)
- Contains vitamins A, C, E and carotene
- Helps to burn calories (by increasing metabolism)
Recipe: Lime Matcha Bliss Balls
(GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, PALEO)
- 120g desiccated coconut
- 85g almond meal
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tablespoons raw honey or rice malt syrup
- Finely grated zest and Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- Extra desiccated coconut for rolling
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until it comes together.
- Add more ground almonds or coconut oil depending on if the mixture is too wet or too dry.
- Remove mix from food processor and place in a bowl in the fridge. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Once firm, roll into balls and coat with the extra desiccated coconut