Almond and Blueberry Muffins
These muffins are perfect for morning tea, afternoon tea or even a quick breakfast on the run! Packed full of protein and good fats, they are sure to keep you satisfied.
What is almond meal?
Almond meal is simply finely ground almonds. It can be used to make gluten free cookies, bread, cakes and as a gluten free substitute for bread crumbs.
What are the health benefits of almonds?
- Helps to lower ‘bad’ cholesterol levels
- Help prevent heart disease and heart attacks
- Provide healthy fats and aid in weight loss
- Help maintain dental and bone health
- Help boost brain function
- Help control blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes
RECIPE: Almond & Blueberry Muffins
(PALEO, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE)
- 2 ½ cups almond meal (can substitute with ground sunflower seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or raw honey)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (can substitute with dairy milk / almond milk / rice milk)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a 12 count medium muffin tray with muffin patties (or oil with coconut oil).
- In a mixing bowl – combine almond meal, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Stir well to combine
- In a separate bowl – stir together melted coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs, coconut milk and vanilla extract.
- Then mix in wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Fold in blueberries carefully and mix until just combined.
- Line 12 hole muffin tray with muffin patties (to stop muffins sticking)
- Distribute into muffin patties – makes 12 medium muffins.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes.